Work Diary #2

One of the main reasons I wanted to start recording the work I do, is to have a log for NEXT year. I seem to get annual amnesia. How did I have students keep their stuff organized? What is the paper flow system? I have created and forgotten, hundreds of routines, activities, and other bits of instruction of the years.

The thing I am struggling with most this year is keeping the classroom clean. I have classroom jobs, but I don't make them a daily routine with fidelity. So, yesterday, I spent 3 hours cleaning the classroom. 

When I moved into my current classroom, one of the things I lamented was that there were no cubbies. So, I borrowed a class set of milk crates from the cafeteria to make individual cubbies. I tried to make a bookshelf of them, and ended up not liking how much space they took up. So, the next iteration was for the individual cubbies to be a the students' table spot.


WHAT. A. MISTAKE!!! I went through ONE child's cubby and recovered pencils, whiteboards, and the lost scepter of Narnia. So, yesterday, I moved all of the student cubbies to line the back counter. I had too many students for them to fit in one nice line, so I had to put several cubbies in front of my cupboards.

BONUS: Too many times kids go into the cupboards, find something cool that they want to play with, and I don't have the heart to say no about little things that don't matter. However, now that the student cubbies are blocking the cupboards, they won't be able to go pilfering.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fun, Effortless Phonics Reinforcement Flex Games

Fun and Active Phonics Games - Integrated and Standards-Based

Art, PE, Multi-Modality Phonics, Oh, my!