Choice Boards, Hyperdocs, and Conferences

 One of the dangers that I face as a teacher is I learn and forget a whole bunch of stuff every year. For example, there is, somewhere out there, about three different blogs full of my writing...somewhere out in the ether. I used to blog what I learned in detail during conferences so I would never forget what I learned. Little did I know I could forget entire things - like spending hours and hours writing blog posts.

As I face the second to last week of school, I feel ironically energized and ready. My report cards are done, but now, the cumes aren't - but that is another story.

One of the things I forgot, and forget over and over and over again, is a small-group alternative to provide targeted practice for each student while calling over either one or two students, or entire small groups to reinstruct a targeted skill. 

Because this style of instruction can be nebulous to try and nail down, I've found that having a grade sheet on a clipboard, a notebook, some labels, and some digital tools can be useful to keep students engaged and to keep my data from drowning me.

I assign a choice board (example below) and a HyperDoc (also below) as a way for students to explore a topic as either review to finalize their learning, or as an introduction to a topic to build background knowledge.

BEE HYPERDOC
(I DID NOT make this HyperDoc)


CHOICE BOARDS

I made these from the PRE-MADE templates from SlidesMania





Either way, using Choice Boards, Hyperdocs, and targeted conference is a fun and easy way to meet my students' needs. I also use gamified practices like BoomDecks, Prodigy, SplashLearn, and other programs as part of the targeted skill practice students do on their own while I personally conference with targeted students.

HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN 

Here is a very cool resource I found in the mess of my Google Drive. I DID NOT MAKE THIS RESOURCE and it is VIEW ONLY.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fun, Effortless Phonics Reinforcement Flex Games

Fun and Active Phonics Games - Integrated and Standards-Based

Art, PE, Multi-Modality Phonics, Oh, my!